Skip to content ↓


Travel assistance for a child with special educational needs and disability (SEND)

The following information is taken from the South Gloucestershire Council Website and is copied here for your convenience. For further information and to apply for assistance please visit the South Glos. website.

Your child may need help to get to and from school or college of further education because of their specific needs.

The council do not automatically give travel assistance to and from school because a child has a special educational need or disability. They will always check to see if a child is eligible on a case by case basis.

Pupils with SEND have the same entitlement to assistance with travel as any other South Gloucestershire pupil on the grounds of distance.

If a child attends a school on parental/carer preference which is not the nearest appropriate school as defined by the council, then assistance with travel will not be available and the responsibility will remain with the parent/carer.

Some children with SEND who have an education health and care plan (EHCP) will have no entitlement under the normal travel to school policies.  They will however be considered on a case by case basis depending on the child’s particular needs and disabilities.

If travel assistance is provided, in most cases this will not include the provision of an escort.  The council will however consider the specific needs of your child, in specific cases entitlement to assistance may include an escort.


For further information please contact:

Client Transport Team on 01454 863924/5/6 or email: