English – The Storm Whale in Winter by Benji Davies
This term we will be learning through the fantastic book The Storm Whale in Winter. Where we meet Noi who has not seen his friend the storm whale since he rescued him.
Some pupils will be writing information texts on whales and writing letters. Others will be answering questions on the story and retellng the story using puppets. They will also write simple poems based on Winter.
We will be also continue reading weekly. Some of us will use a reading scheme with levelled books and others will use the See and Learn scheme. See and Learn supports pupils who learn through sight reading before introducing them to a reading scheme.
Silver class also love going to the dough disco to warm up our hands and brains for writing. We then practice our letter formation, sentence dictation and punctuation in class weekly. This compliments our scissor skills and fine motor skills that we practice weekly.
Maths – Number – Addition & Subtraction, Multiplication & Division
This term we are focusing on the four number operations. This involves identifying numbers one more and one less than a given number, taking away and adding using practical resources, addition and subtraction using partitioning and solving division and multiplication problems using apparatus. Each member of Silver Class will be working on personalised targets to help them prepare for life long learning.
Below is a song that we are singing to start our maths lessons. You want to sing this with your child at home.
Topic – Winter
We will explore our topic through the activities below and more;
- Exporing the concepts hot and cold in science
- Looking at the clothes we wear in winter
- Naming, signing and sorting winter words
- Songs about winter
- Winter soundscape using instruments
- Art actvities – snow flake printing, icy landscape collage, cold colour painting, paper mache snow scene
- Looking at Winter celebrations, such as Diwali, Christmas, Bonfire Night
- Role play with polar animals
- Staying safe – stranger danger, keeping warm, road crossing, wearing bright colours to see in the dark
- Work on being kind to animals
- Sharing and teamwork
- Getting on and falling out
- Winter dance based on penguins and polar bears
- Outdoor learning activities based on Winter
- Swimming has finished for this term but we will swim again after Christmas
- Outside learning will usually take place on a Tuesday afternoon. Sometimes Jane Gulliver will be supporting us in our outdoor learning play.
- Our Primary Wing Nativity/Christmas concert is taking place on Thursday 12th December.
- Christmas dinner is on Wednesday 18th December at the secondary site.
- PE will continue to be every Thursday morning