Speech and Language Therapy at New Siblands
We have 3 speech therapists working with us: Annabel Davies, Jenny Moody and Jane Stonehouse.
Annabel is based on our Secondary & Primary Wing site at Easton Hill Road on Mondays and Wednesdays. She will take over Jessie’s case load.
Jenny will be based on our Primary site at Gillingstool on Wednesdays.
Jane remains with us on Thursdays only, and only temporarily, commissioned by South Gloucestershire Council and working for the NHS. Her remit is:
- Bristol Communication Aids Service assessments for communication aids (AAC)
- Eating and drinking needs
Until July 2017, Jane will also liaise with the nursery staff.
Speech and Language therapy may include supporting children in the following areas:
- Developing language and communication skills
- Developing alternative methods of communication e.g. Makaton signing, communication books, PECS, high tech communication aids etc.
- Developing social communication skills
- Developing speech sound production
- Developing fluency when talking
- Developing children’s eating and drinking skills and assessing the safety of their swallow
Therapist spend time assessing each child and then jointly set goals with parents and school. Therapy programmes will then be set to meet these goals.
Children may be seen in school individually or in groups by the Speech and Language Therapist or Speech and Language Therapy Assistant. Programmes of work will also be delivered within the classroom setting under the direction of the therapist.