Welcome to the New Siblands Speech and Language Page.
Speech and Language Therapy at New Siblands
We currently have team of Speech and Language Therapists working collaboratively with the teaching staff to support functional communication across the school.
This is Jane Stonehouse. Jane is based on both Primary and Secondary Sites on Wednesdays. She works for the NHS.
Her remit is:
- Bristol Communication Aids Service assessments for communication aids (AAC)
- Eating and drinking needs
This is Paula Saint. Paula is the Speech and Language Therapy Assistant. She works on a Wednesday.
(photo to insert)
This is Vicky Greenhalgh. Vicky is based on our Secondary & Primary Wing site at Easton Hill Road on Mondays
(photo to insert)
This is Jessie Corke. She is based on our Primary site at Gillingstool on Fridays
As of September 2018, New Siblands will be buying in Speech and Language Therapy from the NHS for 3 days a week. 2 days will be provided by the NHS core service. Jane Stonehouse will be the Speech and Language Therapist for New Siblands, covering both sites, working 4 days per week, Monday- Thursday. Paula Saint will be supporting Jane on a Wednesday.
Speech and Language therapy may include supporting children in the following areas:
- Developing language and communication skills
- Developing alternative methods of communication e.g. Makaton signing, communication books, PECS, high tech communication aids etc.
- Developing social communication skills
- Developing speech sound production
- Developing fluency when talking
- Developing children’s eating and drinking skills and assessing the safety of their swallow
Therapist spend time assessing each child and then jointly set goals with parents and school. Therapy programmes will then be set to meet these goals.
Children may be seen in school individually or in groups by the Speech and Language Therapist or Speech and Language Therapy Assistant, Paula Saint . Programmes of work will also be delivered within the classroom setting under the direction of the therapist.