Dinosaur Roar! By Paul and Henrietta Stickland
Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs by Ian Whybrow and Adrian Williams
Silver class will be extending their topic through the books Dinosaur Roar! and Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs. We will explore dinosaurs through the story and using role play, Makaton signs and sensory objects. Some pupils will write their own stories with a beginning, middle and end. Whilst others will name characters and order events. Other pupils still will match objects to pictures and join in with a retelling using sound buttons or the Eyegaze. We will also look at non-fiction report writing and learning about opposites.
Each week we will practice our fine motor skills by visiting the dough disco and doing topic based fine and gross motor skill activities. We continue using a reading approach called See&Learn to start our pupils off on their reading, which then progresses into a reading scheme. We try and read twice a week with each pupil.
Attention Autism (bucket) will continue daily for most pupils. Some pupils will take part in phonics groups to support their reading and writing skills.
Maths – Shape, Space and Measure
This term our maths will focus on the shape, space and measure aspect of our new curriuclum for those working on a non-national curriulum pathway. This will involve lots of maths in cross curricular lessons and be linked to our topic of Dinosaurs. We will be exloring 2D and 3D shapes, directions, turns and we will also measure length, weight and capacity.
For those working at the National Curriculum pathway, we will be focusing on money, geometry and statistics. We will be leanring the different coins we use, naming and identifying the properties of 3D shapes and sorting objects based on different criteria.
Please find below one of our warm up songs that your pupil might like to listen to at home.
Topic – Dinosaurs
All learners will learn through;
- Dinosaur printing
- Sensory stories
- Making dinosaur feet
- Dinosaur hunts outside
- Exploring archaeology through frozen dinosaurs
- Fruit dinosaurs
- Dinosaur footprint biscuits
- Small World Dinosaurs
- Creating fossils out of clay
- Creating mud caves, nests and dinosaur footprints in the outdoor area
- Using handprints to make dinosaurs
- Dinsoaur raps and songs
- Creating dinosaur music using instruments
- Board games and turn taking games
- Exploring feelings and making happiness boxes
- Hydrotherapy continues on a Tuesday afternoon for those that have it in Silver class.
- Rebound therapy will continue on a Wednesday afternoon if your child has this.
- On Thursday afternoons, Jane, the PE specialist, will be taking our class to Christ the King School to do PE and Art inclusion. We will take it in turns to visit in small groups.
- On a Wednesday morning, Silver class will be swimming. Please send kits in ready.
- Silver Class will be using the outdoor learning area on a Tuesday morning and Friday afternoon – we will be using forest skills to explore our new curriculum.
- Primay wing rainbow time will happen on a Friday morning. I will let you know what your child does using the home/school diary.